M&MRC Cruce Story #2: Settling in

Our bags had been scanned by the Argentine authorities to aid in a smooth border crossing the next day and we lay in bed with our alarms set for 4:30 a.m.  We questioned why we were put on the 5:15 a.m. bus as some weren’t off until 10, but it proved to be worth it in the end.

Entering ChileWith the sun still tucked away, we woke up and had the breakfast our hostel left out for us the night before.  We walked over to the school were registration took place and boarded one of the many buses lined up in the street.  We worked our way out of San Martín and along a curvy, dirt road before arriving to the Argentine border.  The bus couldn’t cross so we got off, went through the first of what would be 4 immigration encounters and proceeded to wait in line for the bus that would take us across the Chilean border.

While waiting in line, we met Daniel and José from Rosario, who promised to share their mate with us once on the boat.  This was crucial as we’d opted not to bring mate and it was chilly waiting beside the road in no man’s land.  So we chatted with them until making it to the location of Camp 2 where breakfast was served.  We collected our bags after the dog had thoroughly sniffed them out (while almost taking a wee break on several) and boarded the barcaza to cross the Pirehueico Lake.  It was a 90 minute ride where we met the dozens of other runners that were on the Rosario running team and shared stories and drank mate while enjoying the beautiful scenery.

We arrived to Puerto Fuy to see hundreds of blue tents placed along the lake’s shore.  We found ours (EQUIPO 90!) and started making ourselves at home.  We met Equipo 86, who we mentioned in another post and ate lunch.  There were racks of meat grilling by the bonfire and a line for pasta, rice and a mini salad.  We then surveyed the camp before taking a dip in the crystal-clear water of the lake.  Most were winding down and preparing for siestas so we decided to follow in suit after such an early morning.  The other participants had yet to arrive and we were thankful that we got one of the early buses and were settled in at Camp 1 while others waited miles away for their transfer.

Our nap lasted a good 3 hours and our fellow neighbors couldn’t believe with all the noise and excitement we’d been able to do it.  They prepared one way while we prepared by getting some much needed sleep after all the traveling in the previous days.  We dined once more before the Chief of our Lives gave another speech preparing us for the adventure that lay before us.  We were hours away from the start of what was truly an experience of a lifetime.


About Maria Mendoza

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Posted on February 25, 2012, in Cruce Story and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: